Friday, March 17, 2017

NDGers come together to support firebombed restaurant

Isaac Olson on the beat (left) interviewing N.D.G resident Rachel Berger  while a CBC reporter shows the camera which window was broken by vandals. Photo: Romney Copeman
The new Boustan Restaurant, just a few months old in NDG, was firebombed on March 7 at around 1:20 a.m. and the two suspects were arrested soon after.

By the end of the week, the broken window was fixed and the fire damage cleaned up. Romney Copeman, a lifelong NDGer, organized an eat-in of sorts to show the restaurant owners and workers that they are welcome in NDG. The event was organized via Facebook and interest grew quickly.

This was the tightest deadline on a story that I have had since since my early days as a beat reporter in St. Johnsbury, Vermont working for the Caledonian Record back in 2003/2004. The event started at 5:30 pm and I was expected to have the story in by 9:30 pm at the very latest. I borrowed my father-in-law's laptop so I could write it in the nearby Shaika Cafe while sipping herbal tea.

The article, which I turned it at 7:37 pm can be read in full here.

No comments:

Post a Comment